Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chapter Eighteen (The Caemlyn Road)

Is it action that I need?  Well, no, because I liked many of the previous chapters.  Maybe I just don't like waiting?  This chapter was fun to read.  Maybe because I know what is to come, but only perhaps.  They're on the run again - more magic from Moraine, even flashy (well, "walking" over the wall was also flashy, but fire, fire's fun).  More of Lan's character is revealed as Jordan peels away a layer, now calling him "Last Lord of the Seven Towers."  Mat does something new and kind of cool and leaves me wondering how Jordan will tie it in.  Nynaeve's "concern battling dislike," even the Wisdom is showing herself to be human.

If I don't have much to say here - it's because this was a very tightly done chapter, not much room for mistakes.  Oh, and one other thing.  Because of @ordinarycrook I paid special attention to Mat in the Trolloc battle - I have said that I love Jordan's foreshadowing - Mat throwing away a rope and rubbing his neck - love those small details!

How does just a name fill a person with such dread, even when the person doesn't know what has happened there?  Atmosphere.  When someone has been saying "it was called…." and then they just stop and don't go on….and then you see the city and the city was empty, in Perrin's words it was "fallen."  And then you hear "It is called Shadar Logath."  At least I was filled with dread.  Of course, it helped that Moraine didn't want to go there -and Lan said the Trollocs would not follow.  Now, how the boys managed to not be filled with the same dread, we'll follow in the next post.  For now a trite quote, but please humor me:

Carai an Caldazar. Carai an Ellisande. Al Ellisande.

1 comment: