Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Chapter 24 (Flight Down the Arinelle)

"He pressed, seeking freedom, knowing it was an illusion. Everything was an illusion..." Another chapter opening with a dream from Ba'alzamon..."How long do you think you can evade me, boy? How long do you think you can evade your fate? You are mine!"

I started my re-read of the Wheel of Time back in 2011, before even Towers of Midnight was out, and sometime during my re-read a Memory of Light's final draft was submitted for editing. It feels like so long ago, now. Between then and now I did manage to finish the book (and the series) itself, though I'd given up on the notes. Maybe that fiasco of a pilot made me nostalgic for the re-read and analyzing the series, maybe I just wanted to study something. Well, whatever it is, I'm back...until I'm not. 

I realize when I started I didn't want to analyze/compare the prophesies too much, well, that might change, depending on my mood, I like a good discussion.

Moving on to finish this chapter....besides the "everything is an illusion," bit, the chapter serves to remind me how boring fantasy can become with simply going from place to place, even on a boat that "made haste slowly down the Arinelle".

Jordan still tucked teasing bits of information in the story. Thom teaching the boys the arts, Rand seeing the dagger Mat took from Shadar Logoth. First (?) mention of the Seafolk and their Coramoor/Chosen One.

I've said and I'll continue to say, the way Jordan introduces the world is brilliant. Mentioning the Sea Folk here, and Tremalking, then Tanchico "that be a port on the Aryth Ocean" casual conversation, not the point of the conversation and moving on quickly. It doesn't come up because that's where they're heading and the characters need to know (ale info dump), it comes up in casual conversation because that's what people do. On first read you can't really know that this info is pertinent and later in the story you may think in the back of your mind "hmm...Sea Folk...didn't we read something about that awhile back."

I leave you with a quote from Boyle to Rand, which, even as a first time reader, you can nod and agree with, "...if you ever go back, your village'll no be big enough to hold you."

No comments:

Post a Comment