Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chapter 30 (Children of Shadow)

Given what I just mentioned about the previous chapter being dark and all that, this chapter is still stock full of some pretty nasty characters. Made all the more loathsome as they utterly believe they are doing the right thing. In history, I believe, those are the groups that commit the most heinous of acts. No man is so lost he cannot be brought into the Light.

On first read I wondered, and the wondering continues still, why does Elyas not simply take Perrin and Egwene with him when he flees? Does he think the men will give chase? Does he think the kids could not keep up? The narrative makes it seem as if he knows it's Children of the Light coming upon them, does he really think Perrin and Egwene will get away unscathed? Keep in mind, these are my impressions of this chapter, not remembering what is to follow. 

We, the readers, know the men are not to be trusted because not only does Elyas flee from them, the wolves have also mentioned the men "smell wrong." So the "grandfatherly" Lord Captain Geofram Bornhald does not fool us. He's definitely the hand holding Child Byar's leash. Child Byar reminds me of someone who joined the police force so he could legally channel his aggression. Even as the "Children of the Light" did not fool me as the reader, (especially when groups with such deceptively "good" names are too often their opposites) it was still quite interesting to see Perrin's view of them (specifically Geofram) shift from "grandfatherly" to, well, insane. 

Children of Light (or as the chapter title also gives a nod to, Shadow)...during this read I likened the group to the KKK, they were always "right", fanatical in their beliefs, never going to get anyone persuade them otherwise, never let anyone "in" who hadn't been vouched for by someone else and everyone who is not a part of them is against them. As I was discussing this chapter with my husband, he mentioned that Jordan had modeled the "Children" after the Catholic church. At first I rejected the notion, but as I pondered the idea, especially remembering back to the Roman Catholic history in Europe I conceded it was fairly accurate - as a model/reflection/perception. Overall a very interesting correlation. 

If I knew during my first read what I now know about Jordan and his planning ahead, I would have hung on to the name Byar after he was humiliated in front of Perrin and Egwene. I would have guessed he'd be back. And when Geofram's son, Dain, is mentioned I also might have taken note. During my first read, however, I had no idea what an epic world Jordan was building. Plus, I'm not really a "let's give the reader a bazillion characters to try to remember over xx number of years and xx books" type of reader (I started the series in ~2005, so I only had 8 years to read and digest the characters, not 23 years like some of you readers). Jordan eased his readers into the multitude of characters he introduced, I'm convinced that's the only reason I survived the story, and glad I am of it.

It's interesting to me, I'm so used to Hopper being with Perrin in Hopper's world, I'd forgotten how early and how needlessly Hopper had died. Hopper was always so wise later on that reading about him being young and impetuous had me half convinced I had the wolf mistaken for another. 

Also of note - Egwene has confirmation that Perrin can hear the wolves. The same wolves who, by the end of the chapter, Perrin can no longer feel. Did Elyas and the wolves abandon them? Actually, I can't quite remember what happens to them, I'm a few chapters ahead and still waiting...in this series I suppose I've been a forest person, not a trees person.

The penalty for Darkfriends is death. There is no truce with the Shadow. There is no mercy for Darkfriends.

"For you I fear a gibbet waits in Amador."

Aaand Jordan moves on to Rand and Mat, leaving the reader hanging (pun actually not intended).

*Slight note - in this chapter review I write as if this is our first introduction to the Children of the Light, and it is not. The reader did meet them briefly (by name, even, in Chapter 17. This is the drawback to finishing a book three years after first starting the re-read. I do remember, meeting them in the earlier chapter left a bad taste in my mouth.*

No comments:

Post a Comment