Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Chapter 25 (The Traveling People)

Again with the traveling taking forever. Before I stopped posting three years ago I'd actually had notes on chapters 24 and 25, and what I had on this chapter was "they traveled three days." So much more happens, but the traveling...man, actually, that was also used as a way to introduce the world, well done, sir.

I love that Egwene and Elyas quarrel over everyone having a turn to ride and Elyas ends the conversation simply by saying "I said no, girl." Then Egwene for once in the series, was left speechless. 

Then Jordan introduces the Tinkers/Traveling People, as well as the Way of the Leaf, once again doing this as simply a part of the story. Even explaining what the Way of the Leaf is. 

"The leaf lives its appointed time, and does not struggle against the wind that carries it way. The leaf does no harm, and finally, falls to nourish new leaves. So it should be with all men. And women."

By now I should probably stop being in awe of Jordan for how he does this, but I read, and I read a lot, and Jordan is constantly amazing me upon re-read of the masterpiece of his world, and his way of describing it rather than telling it; I'm not sure I'll ever "get over it."

Here, also, with Aram, Jordan once again displays his planning, or his canny ability to go back to the characters he's introduced and then weave them into the plot later. I do believe it's the former rather than the latter because even small things with Aram in this chapter one could say, foreshadows what is to come of Aram.

Of course, Egwene managed to upset me with her snide, "I think it is interesting to meet someone who doesn't believe his muscles can solve every problem." Of course, that's part for the course. Don't worry, I won't comment every time she manages to piss me off.

And we end with a favorite fun thing to point out/question - do boys, in their minds really question what another friend would do in their place as often as Rand/Mat/Perrin all do? Perrin's thought at the end of the chapter - Rand might understand it, but I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment