Monday, August 15, 2011

Chapter Two (Strangers)

I've read voraciously my entire life, but never one just genre, and the fantasy that I've read hasn't been what I'd call "trope."  So when some people get bored because Rand's introduced as a central character, but he's a farm boy, or because he's off to the village Festival, that doesn't actually ring any bells for me.  While I admit that I know Robert Jordan said that the first half of tEotW is shaped after the Lord of the Rings, I'll also admit that I never finished tLotR.  Not that Tolkien's story wasn't amazing or that I'll never try to go back.  Just that I haven't.  Not yet.  So that's my disclaimer on tLotR comparisons.  I've told myself that I'll try not to compare to other authors either, but this chapter is already testing that wish - more on that later.     

The first time I read tEotW, I was fairly certain that Rand would be a central character (after all, it's his viewpoint that we're first seeing everyone from) but when he and Mat are marked as separate when Moraine gives them special coins for "tasks" that feeling is solidified. 

With the details that Jordan uses when introducing Moraine and Lan as characters, I could tell then, and I can most certainly tell now that they were definitely along for the ride.  The reader gets Ewin's youthful impressions of Moraine and Lan, and later Rand's own observations of them as well.  Either Rand has a very good eye for detail, or Jordan really wants to make a strong impression of these two people that the reader is meeting for the first time. 

Other things come to mind when reading the chapter - the Village Council is gathering, all of them, and they seem quite serious, "huddling" together. 

The seemingly sentient raven is also a foreshadowing of darkness to come, but at this point, the reader still doesn't know if Moraine is "good" or even if the raven is bad.  Yet, since the raven is a carrion eater and Jordan gave the impression that it was chased away by Moraine's presence, Jordan also indicated the reader could likely trust Moraine. 

Mat's greeting to Moraine and his slight, albeit jerky bow goodbye…is this a foreshadowing of the more glib, flirting boy/man Mat will become?  And when Rand watches the bow, and decides to say simply his name instead is that a foreshadowing of him watching and learning and giving only what asked?

Here is my test - hopefully I will only fail once.  Moraine, when first read, and even upon re-read always did remind me of the Druid Allanon (who yes, was also inspired by tLotR, but I didn’t know it at the time).  Moraine seemed like a female version of Allanon, especially upon meeting her in this chapter.  Strange, commanding, mysterious and yet…good.  I liked her upon first meet and I liked her all the way through, Moraine had tough choices and no one is perfect. 

Upon re-read there were no surprises for me, but I gleaned more detail than before.  

No comments:

Post a Comment