Sunday, August 14, 2011

Prologue

I first read this book not nearly as long ago as most people, but about five and a half, maybe six years ago now.  Two people that knew I read rather voraciously in almost every genre told me that this series was a must read for me.  Since I rather respected these two people, I agreed to try tEotW.  I didn't stop until I was through Knife of Dreams, in fact, my friend that bought KoD let me read it first since she knew I would devour it much faster than she.


Upon re-reading the Prologue, there is so much here to consume.  Much color and detail that one misses when reading for the first time, yet going back to it (for probably the fourth time) there are so many bits and pieces left to us (the readers) to understand and many first mentions. 

Even before Lews Therin remembers or knows who Elan Morin is, he asks if Elan Morin has the Voice, if he will stay for the Singing.  Important?  Well, since the Tinkers are looking for the Song, could be.  Not much Jordan did was ever random. 

The prologue is rift with titles, calling Lews Therin the Lord of the Morning, Kinslayer, Dragon and Lews Therin does not remember much but he does remember that Elan Morin was called "Betrayer of Hope."  He also remembers that to say "Shai'tan" is dangerous. 

It gives us background on Lews Therin - he wore the rings of Tamrylin, sat in the High Seat and summoned the nine rods of Dominion.  Also - that he was a great commander if he was able to humble Elan Morin in the Hall of Servants and later defeat him at the Gates of Paaran Disen. 

The color and detail is amazing to me in that I don't skip over it as I’m reading, because I tend to if I feel too many words are being used.  Perhaps it is that much of the detail in this prologue is the banter between them. 

Here is also the first quote that most people love, myself included, "Ten years!  You pitiful fool!  The war has not lasted ten years but since the beginning of time.  You and I have fought a thousand battles with the turning of the Wheel, a thousand times a thousand, and we will fight until time dies and the Shadow is triumphant!"

First mention of the Hundred Companions, the Prologue alleges that they won, but at what price?  The "futile" attack of the Hundred Companions, and the counterstrike of the Great Lord of the Dark so now the world is being torn apart.  In this next paragraph, if we are paying attention, we could infer that the counterstrike is that "Saidin" is now "tainted."

Just re-reading the last paragraph, it's also a give away that Traveling can be followed - unless Elan Morin had a homing beacon on Lews Therin since Elan Morin appears in time to watch the show ending the prologue ominously with "You cannot escape so easily, Dragon.  It is not done between us.  It will not be done until the end of time."

Which also makes me want to go immediately to the last few books, skipping these books, but…that would ruin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment