Monday, March 2, 2015

Chapter 32 (Four Kings in Shadow)

The chapter title leads the reader to believe there's something not quite right either about the town, about to happen or maybe both. The reader gets some more descriptions about the world as Rand and Mat move through Four Kings, with no one meeting the boys' eyes and is left with a sense of, well, something bad's about to happen.

It's interesting how even in a series this large with such a huge fanbase, each reader can focus on something entirely different in the series, in the books, about each character and even in each chapter. In this series of chapters about Rand and Mat's trip down the Caemlyn road, my first time through and in subsequent re-reads I always got stuck on Rand and Mat's loyalty to each other. Rand refused to leave Mat and Mat was always ready to defend them with his bow or the dagger. Some may say it was Mat's paranoia that left Mat that ready, however, Mat was also willing to go the extra mile to get Rand rest when he needed it (here I'm already analyzing from chapters ahead, so I'll slow down).

Before the boys walked into the inn the reader knew it was a baad idea, and then as soon as the innkeeper backhanded the bar maid I wanted the boys gone. Then again, we're reading a book, right, so they can't have that much common sense. That or they're willing to risk it all for a warm bed and food for the night.

Of course when it all comes down to standing their ground or fleeing and Mat goes I'd rather be wet than dead it's a little too late to run and Rand explains that they must wait for a while to hide the noise of their escape. 

Yet, by waiting they invite more trouble. The (yet another shady) innkeeper is out of the way, but now they have the Darkfriend and his minions (or was he a minion) to deal with as well. You will submit to my master - to your master - or you will be made to submit.

Mat, thinking ahead, was all like - hey, let's surrender and then get away later. Strategy already, Mat? Rand, however panics. I think during my very first read I missed this bit in here about Rand channeling. I mean, there's a lightening storm, and Darkfriends and all sorts of stuff happening, right? Reading it again though is like a big huge DUH, if you missed Bela, and if you missed the boat, look -----> HERE! 

Next chapter is again Rand and Mat and although we are still left wondering how Egwene and Perrin are fairing, and I already don't remember where we left Moraine, Lan and Nynaeve, I'm fine with that. Rand and Mat are quite entertaining on their own. I'm still of the opinion that the only reason I kept reading a series with such a huge cast of characters, main characters no less, is because, well I like a slightly secondary character best (Mat) and Jordan treated me like a frog - just boiled me slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment