Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Chapter 42 (Remembrance of Dreams)

The change in Perrin, which I previously spoke of in the last chapter is more evident in this chapter. Rand even used 'resigned' to describe the look on Perrin's face. This attitude which seems to come out of - not nowhere, but almost. However, I do like that Perrin was the one who broke the ice with Loial and we even learn a little more about Loial, because naturally, now that the Edmond's Field group is all back together again, everyone is reluctant to talk, but as all friends do, they eventually break the ice.

When Mat joined them with Moraine, I wasn't surprised that he still had the dagger nor that he no longer even appeared sick. What surprised me was that he didn't remember anything/much of his time after taking the dagger. Now, that shouldn't have surprised me, but for some reason it did. 

I love the familiarity of the boys with each other, their easy talk, teasing and catching up.

Rand explaining his falling into the castle after Moraine's sharp "What has Elaida Sedai to do with this?"

"....I didn't do anything wrong."

Then Mat's reply - "That's what I always say."

Aaand then Loial goes on his first rambling....telling his story about the Dark one intending to blind the Eye of the World and slay the Great Serpent and kill time itself...

I'm not sure what kind of plot device this is, everyone hearing similar stories on their way to Caemlyn, but even as I heard the first story I knew, well, the boys aren't headed to Tar Valon any longer....they're going to be off to save the world.

Also in this chapter is the first time I noticed Thom's adage in action. Thom's adage being "An Aes Sedai never lies, but the truth she speaks may not be the truth that you think you hear." Rand repeats that line in his mind when Moraine avoids answering one of his questions. Not sure I needed that blatant reminder, as I was already watching everything she was saying/not saying, quite closely.

Egwene is off crying with Nynaeve holding her hand during all of this - seriously - I'd love to know why? Is she scared? Maybe she's supposed to be scared, but really, what will crying accomplish? On the other hand, Nynave at least is doing her best to still try to protect them "There's no need for that kind of talk!...You'll only frighten them"

Now, the Ways, which apparently Loial doesn't want to use, and frankly, his terror comes through quite clearly. "If we enter the Ways, we will all die - or be swallowed by the Shadow."

No comments:

Post a Comment