Friday, March 27, 2015

Chapter 38 (Rescue)

Is it me, or is it only the bad guys that happily take items; jewelry, clothes, weapons, etc. and then wear them around in front of the person and then later it comes back to bite them? Kind of like what Byar did to Perrin and Perrin's ax?

Oh, and why, why, why do the "good guys" always let someone live when you (the reader) totally know it's going to bite the good guy in the ass later down the road? Over the entire series, I may have forgotten about Byar before he popped up again (when I'm not entirely sure) but I knew in my bones he would cause trouble again. Is that, my friends, the symptom of reading too much? Oh, and of course, Perrin goes back for his ax.

Lots of ohs in this chapter. Like - oh, and why in the world does Lan almost lose it over Nynaeve in this chapter? Jordan has done very little in the way of set up between those two characters, although I admit, yes, by now we're supposed to realize that there's chemistry between the two. But still, seriously, Lan has to be reminded of his oaths before he turns around to go back to Moraine? I'm not sure it actually bugged me the first time around, but this time it really got to me, especially after getting know Lan from the entire series. 

Oh - and in later books did Moraine talk to herself nearly as much as she does in this book? "'There was no foretelling this.' Moraine spoke as if to herself." As if the reader needs the information, but since Moraine is not particularly generous with information, she has to drop the hints for the reader to find out without actually meaning to tell anyone. And in cryptic form no less.

Aaand this is the most talkative I think Lan has been the entire book. I really enjoyed it, as well as the hints of uncertainty that he shows with Perrin over Perrin's "predicament". Basically he's playing the male role model - be strong, be Two River's stubborn and you'll get through this. Maybe I'm weird, but despite all of the doubts Jordan throws in Perrin's mind and everything Perrin goes through, I never once actually believed Perrin would have an issue with it, more just an issue accepting the changes as of the three the reader can already tell, could probably tell after meeting all three of them - Perrin's the most homebody of the boys.

Segueing into the next chapter, speaking of Moraine's ability to find Rand and Mat, Lan voices more doubts "'But can she find them in time?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment