Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Chapter 33 (The Dark Awaits)

The adventure continues....due to unforeseen family events I had to take a slight break from posting. Though I even brought my journal, the book and my laptop with me, I never cracked any of them. And then I went and got a cold as soon as I got home (probably picked up from the Northwest). Life however, goes on, and as I started with - the adventure continues...


In my previous post I mentioned where Rand and Mat are sticking together, that actually shows up more here. Mat's upset that he blew off an opportunity for Rand to rest and helped with some of Rand's burden. Of course, he's also worried that Rand will leave him, so maybe that plays into it, but that theory just doesn't ring true to me. Mat's the one who shakes Rand awake during Rand's nightmares, who takes care of Rand when Rand's sick with his "I don't know what happened" after the inn, Mat's the one who tells Rand "Just rest easy. You're Rand al'Thor, that's who you are, with the ugliest face and the thickest head in the Two Rivers."

Perhaps I'm being a tad defensive, but it does irk me that I've read of many fans disliking Mat in the first few books and even his bios, in multiple wikis, call him "lazy". How anyone can say that when the reader can clearly see that sure, Mat's more of a risk taker than either Rand or Perrin, but Mat's also incredibly loyal even with his dagger hazed mind.

Moving on - the rest of the chapter holds more nightmares My eyes! Oh Light he took my eyes. As well as Darkfriend assassins, really at this point I was confused, was the other side trying to kill or capture them? Of course, only this far in, no reader could know how very many factions of "the other side" there were. And then they were off to see the false Dragon with Hyam Kinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment