Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chapter Fifteen (Strangers & Friends)


This is a chapter I wanted to have done at the beginning, or at least the middle of the week, but work got so badly in the way that it wasn't possible.  Or rather, it was, but I choose instead to let my mind go after work instead of focus my thoughts.  Today, I actually only had about two paragraphs of notes to take on the summary of what happened and then digest it all myself, generally the hardest part of all, which is why I delayed it so long.  But now that I'm back into it, it's great - a chapter where I can love Mat for a few seconds and shake my head at Perrin and be frustrated with Rand. 

Perrin being "too sick" to go out and be adventurous because of a bad dream, hmm...  Looking back, why do I have a hard time with this?  It just doesn't settle right with me.  I guess maybe one of the three had to stay back and it obviously couldn't be Rand, nor did it fit Mat's character, and Perrin was a little…wimpier?  It just doesn't fit - to me at least.  Perrin was strong and stubborn enough to not partake of the "drink" that was offered, but couldn't manage to get out of bed afterwards even go to exploring, when he's pointedly told Thom that they've explored some of the strangest areas of their country?  Okay.

Scene with Min - perfection.  So much foreshadowing, no one can remember it all, and speculation ran rampant throughout the series - runs still for some of the images Min saw that day.  We already know that I love how Jordan uses prophesy and foreshadowing, and here he sets up how he will use it in a different way throughout the series.  Jordan also does well how he sets up Min's character and first conversation with Rand.  Again, I am in awe - I am also left remembering, she is one character who has not once annoyed me.  How could Jordan write her female character so well, and yet struggle with the others? 

The thing that upsets me the most - and I suppose had to happen in this chapter - is when Rand tells Padan Fain where they are staying and agrees not to tell Moraine he has seen Padan Fain.  Doesn't Rand find it at all suspicious that Fain ran away from him or even that he looks a lot worse for wear or that he's rambling like he's insane?  Also, Rand was just the night before told not to trust anyone.  The first time I read the book it annoyed me as well.  My husband defends it a little by saying "well, hadn't Padan Fain been going to Edmond's Field for as long as Rand could remember?" Well sure - but still!  Padan Fain disappeared that night, and see all of the reasons I listed above as to why he shouldn't trust him - and I'd even say anyone from Two River's that randomly appeared in the same circumstances (disappeared Winternight, running away from him in town, looking poorly, rambling) shouldn't be trusted.  But, as I said before, probably just one of the dots that needed to be connected - and Rand was a trusting sort…I suppose - although he doesn't trust Moraine, but that's because she's a stranger? 

The scene that causes Mat to say "You aren't sick…you are crazy!"  I love that scene!  It sets up so beautifully some clues that have been laid down for the reader as well as expresses Mat's character.  It also introduces another character, but not even noticeably, more of a "oh by and by…"  The scene is full of, not hidden agendas so much as the fact that Jordan had laid out his plot and was now filling in the outline with the richness of the story.  For a small example - the Heron marked blade is now verified as being a blade to be wary of: it seems a little different now that it's verified by a source outside of Lan. 

There is more to the chapter, but these were the few scenes that stood out to me the most.  The Wisdom is next and I hope I don't take nearly as much time getting my notes input into the computer this go around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment