Saturday, September 24, 2011

Chapter Sixteen (The Wisdom)


It's an overall feel to this chapter, rather than scenes, that I like.  This chapter is "nice" but it actually kind of fades away.  I finished reading it probably a week ago, but never felt the need to sit down and write about it.  Now that I've finished reading and taking notes on a few more chapters, well, I really should get this one done.

Obviously, at some point Jordan intended to bring Nynaeve into the overall plot, Min telling Rand that Nynaeve's a "part of it" proves that.  Having her pick up the trail, impress Lan, be protective of the boys and even hostile to Moraine, not a horrible way to bring her in.  I do also really like a couple things in the chapter, besides Egwene's pulling up her hood, hmm…she was just apprenticed to Nynaeve and she fled with Moraine, can see how she'd be a little worried about reactions.  More, I like how Thom, wary of Moraine, is now also defending her to Nynaeve, almost telling Nynaeve not to be stupid in her rush to save the boys. 

The one thing that I picked up on the most, that I was discussing even as I finished the chapter - is that the chapter showcases Nynaeve's loyalty to the boys, and to Rand.  Nynaeve does not give up anything of importance to Moraine about any of the boys.  Nynaeve also tells Rand: it does not matter where you were born, you are from Two Rivers and that means you are my responsibility.  And that comes up time and again in the future. 

Not really a throw away chapter, because it needed to happen, just not really a memorable one.  Next up Watchers & Hunters - they get to enjoy a bit of fun at the inn, and then…we'll see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment