Monday, September 5, 2011

Chapter Ten (Leavetaking)

This chapter seemed to fly by, I think it's because the story is starting to move quickly.  Not much world-building and no info dump here.  Definite foreshadowing though - Mat to Rand upon noticing Rand's sword "You becoming a Warder?"  Perrin with his axe that he's even been practicing with and Mat with his bow. 

Egwene appearing and not believing the boys about the danger definitely turned me off again, especially when she told Rand "Perhaps I'll take care of you."  Now, it was said lightly, and right after that she said they'd take care of each other - so this part right here is most likely just me carrying my prejudices from futures chapters back with me.  What do you think?

Thom appearing - apparently Perrin hadn't checked the loft when Lan had him recon the barn, is rather interesting.  If you think about it - it throws in, is is three or four groups to the mix?  Now Jordan has Moraine and Lan - Group #1; the boys - Group #2; Egwene - Group #3 and Thom - Group #4; or should the boys and Egwene be combined into the same Group and be called "The Villagers"?  What do you think - how many groups are there?  Three or four?  Cast your vote…I think four, and by doing so, Jordan defies the trope of three.  Sure, he went with three boys, but here, in my opinion, he goes with four groups.  Whatever happens later, is later. 

More foreshadowing, or can you call it just building on the plot when Lan mentions that wolves do not like Trollocs and Trollocs do not like wolves?

Then the Draghkar - I find it interesting that Rand is the one that spots it first, but then again, it is Rand's point of view after all.  And Thom's succinct description of it - Jordan could definitely be wordy when he tried, but he could pack a few words with plenty of meaning "In the war that ended the Age of Legends, worse than Trollocs and Halfmen were created."

The small (yet seems large to me) group took the North Road, and I'm off to input another chapter's notes into my re-read.  I have one more chapter's worth of notes to go from, and then I'm reading again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment